Turn your extra apples into a delicious apple sauce that everyone will love!
Makes about 3 cups/3 servings
- 6 cups (6 medium or roughly 3 lbs.) of apples cut into ¾ inch pieces (Remove the core, but no need to peel.)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Turbinado or packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Combine apples, 1 cup water and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until apples are very tender and skins are softened, about 35 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until almost all liquid in saucepan has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and cinnamon (if desired). Cool 30 minutes.
- Using fork or potato masher, mash apple mixture until coarse and chunky (for a smoother texture, puree in a food processor until desired texture is achieved).
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.