Some small shifts in the way you plan, store, and eat can make a huge difference on your budget and waste. Try one or all five of the tips below to help keep your food budget down this year, make the most of the food that you already have, and in the process, reduce your climate footprint! Click the links below for the full tips:
- Fridge Clean Out - Start the year by taking inventory of what you already have and examining what is getting thrown out in your home. The 10 Minute Fridge Reality Check walks you through cleaning out your refrigerator (feel free to go through the freezer and pantry too, if you're up for it!), and guides you through an assessment of what types of food are being thrown away and why, in order to understand how you might be able to prevent this moving forward.
- Expiration Dates - We may be shocked that it's already a new year, but when reading food date labels, make sure to take them more lightly. Other than baby formula, food date labels are not indications of food safety. Remember that when you are cleaning out your fridge, freezer, or pantry, the best way to know if something is no longer good to eat is by using your senses.
- Fridge Organization - Where you store food in your refrigerator can make a huge difference in how long it lasts. Consult this resouce to learn the best places in the fridge to store your dairy, vegetables, meat, and more, to make sure they are still good by the time you're ready to use them.
- Affordable Alternatives - Build in what you already have in your kitchen to your weekly meals, account for them in your shopping list, and don't be afraid to substitute items with more affordable (or what you already have) alternatives.
- Food Shift Seasonal Kitchen Guide - This guide provides simple tips and recipe templates for seasonal produce items each month of the year. Get into the practice of knowing what's in season and simple ways to store and cook these items to reduce fresh produce costs and make the most of seasonal items.
If you're interested in more tips and recipes for making the most of your food, browse this website for simple tips, recipes, and blog posts for inspiration!