Put that stale old bread to use by making this simple stuffed pepper side dish.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (see our homemade Bread Crumbs recipe)
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bell peppers, split lengthwise with seeds and white ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Oil the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large skillet over high heat, heat about ¼ cup of olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic until softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, tomato, parsley, capers (if desired), salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Fill each pepper half with bread mixture and place in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, then pour water into bottom of baking dish.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden and tender.