Give your stale bread a second life by turning it into this simple bread pudding. Feel free to try variations of this recipe by adding cinnamon, raisins, or even those berries you may not get around to finishing.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 cups of stale bread cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat milk, butter, vanilla, and sugar in a saucepan over low heat on the stove until butter is melted
- As the mixture is cooling, grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan and fill with bread cubes
- Add 2 beaten eggs to the cooled milk mixture and pour over the bread
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the liquid has set (don’t let the bread pudding get too dry, it should still wobble a bit)
For a holiday variation of bread pudding, see the Bourbon-Poached Pear Bread Pudding with Cajeta recipe, from Edible East Bay, Winter Holidays 2015.