Save your stale bread and hard heels for later by turning them into bread crumbs.
- stale bread (sliced bread, heels, and stale baguette rounds all work well here)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Using tongs, place bread pieces directly on oven racks. Leave in oven until hard and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven using tongs and cool completely on wire rack.
- Crumble dry bread into a large bowl with a wooden spoon or clean hands until reduced to fine crumbs, or use a food processor and process until fine.
- Make sure bread crumbs are completely cool, then store in an airtight container.
Recipes to use up bread crumbs:
More tips for making the most of your bread: