A new spin on the Italian classic, this salsa uses carrot tops. Great with fish or to drizzle on roasted root veggies.
- 5 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- Tops from 1 bunch carrots, washed well and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or other tender herbs, such as chives, fennel fronds, or marjoram
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil Freshly ground pepper
- Place the anchovies (optional), capers and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the carrot tops, rosemary, oregano (or other herbs), thyme, red pepper flakes and lemon juice and process until finely chopped.
- With the processor running, gradually pour in the olive oil and puree until very smooth.
- Season to taste with pepper and more lemon juice.