Save leftover bread from going into the compost bin by turning it into delicious homemade croutons.
Add some herbs and spices to your croutons for a tasty addition to future salads and soups.
- Stale, leftover bread cut into 1 inch (or desired size) cubes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Dried herbs and spices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until lightly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper. If desired, sprinkle some Italian seasoning, chili flakes, garlic powder, or other dried herbs or spices. Toss to evenly distribute.
- Loosely spread the seasoned and oiled bread cubes on a cookie sheet and place in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.
Other tasty ways to make the most of your bread: