Transform your wrinkly tomatoes into this simple side dish that makes use of ingredients you likely already have.
Sometimes we're lucky enough to have an abundance of tomatoes in our kitchens. And for whatever reason, sometimes these tomatoes end up getting cracked, wrinkly, grainy, or otherwise imperfect for use in raw form. (Sometimes storing them properly isn't enough!)
Try turning those too far gone tomatoes into a simple side dish that uses ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen.
- tomatoes - whatever you need to use up - cleaned and halved
- bread crumbs - find our easy bread crumbs process here
- salted capers or chopped olives (optional)
- herbs - thyme, oregano, and basil can all be good options fresh or dry (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 415 F.
- Remove bruised and otheriwse unsavory pieces of tomato and cut them in half (any presence of mold is generally a sign a tomato is ready to be composted).
- Choose an oven-safe dish that can hold your halved tomatoes tightly, and line them up with the cut sides facing up.
- Drizzle the tops of your tomatoes with some olive oil. About 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 6-8 tomatoes, but use what feels comfortable for you.
- In a small bowl, mix your bread crumbs with some salt. The ratio should be about 1/2 teaspoon of salt with 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. This will cover 6-8 medium sized tomatoes.
- If you'd like to add fresh or dried herbs to the bread crumbs, add them to the bowl. Roughly 1 teaspoon total of herbs of your choice with the 1/2 cup of bread crumbs should be sufficient.
- Sprinkle the oiled tomato halves with your bread crumb mixture, making sure to cover all of the cut halves. There's no way to do this wrong, so use up all of your bread crumbs here.
- Do one more drizzle of olive oil, and lightly sprinkle salted capers or chopped olives on the tomato halves if desired.
- Place the dish of tomatoes in the oven for roughly 15 minutes, making sure to check them at 10 minutes. The tomatoes are ready when the bread crumbs are crispy and golden and the tomatoes look soft and fully cooked.
- Serve hot and enjoy!