Place cut carrots and celery in jars filled with water to keep them fresh, crisp and easy to grab for up to a week. Or, bring limp carrots back to life by placing them in ice water until crisp.
- Slice carrots and celery into desired sizes and shapes e.g. sticks, coins. etc*
- Add to jars
- Fill with water and close lids
- Store the jars in the fridge for up to a week, refresh water as needed
* Save the tops, if any, for carrot top salsa verde.
"I make sure to prep carrots and celery for snacking as soon as I get home from the store. I put the prepped snacks at eye-level on the the front of the shelf so that when that fridge door opens and I am ready to eat anything that's not moving, there they are: cold, sweet, crisp and filling. Sure beats grabbing 40 handfuls of crackers and then guiltily skulking out of the kitchen."
– Marla, Alameda Backyard Growers