Over the years, StopWaste has had the honor of working with community partners and grantees who make sure that good healthy food is making its way to feed people, not being thrown away or even composted. Some partners work directly with suppliers, grocers, and institutions to recover food, while others work in the cross section between health or housing and food. (Find a full list of StopWaste's Food Waste Prevention & Recovery Grants)
Along with taking care in our own kitchens to reduce the amount of food going to waste over the holidays, there are also many ways to support these essential local food organizations this giving season and throughout the year. Whether it's by passing on information for how to get food safely to neighbors in need, purchasing additional food boxes, or donating money, time, or resources, there is a wide range of opportunities to support community food resources.
Below is a short list of links for ways to access food and support local organizations developed during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, though still very much relevant. You will also find a list of organizations that are ensuring that our community is fed; during the holidays and always. The list below is by no means comprehensive.
- Find a Food Pantry - Alameda County Community Food Pantry search tool. Enter your address or zip code and find food distribution locations closest to you.
- Ways to Volunteer & Donate to food organizations - Edible East Bay
- Top Tips to Help Food Banks Over the Holidays - Imperfect Foods
- Demand for Bay Area Food Banks Is Soaring. Here's How to Find (and Support) Them - KQED
- Alameda County Community Food Bank - the ACCFB also partners with smaller food organizations throughout the county
- Oakland Communities United for Equity and Justice (OCUEJ)
- Lake Merritt United Methodist Church
- Community Kitchens
- Arsola's Distribution Center and Community Services
- Project Open Hand
- Food of God (FOG)
- Hope Collaborative
To learn more about our grantee organizations and partners, please visit StopWaste's previously funded grants page (for food-related work, filter by "Food Waste Prevention & Recovery Grants"), and if you have additional resources or opportunites to share, please send us an email.
* Photo above taken at Hope Collaborative in Oakland, one of StopWaste's 2021 grantees.